GETTING THE GOOD PORTRAIT

I learned very early in my photographic life what was required to get a good portrait. It had less to do with lighting and composition (though those items are important) but more to do with the photographer's relationship with his subject. This knowledge was reinforced when I assisted a fashion photographer who also did family portraits. I watched him come into a family situation and get the whole family, kids and all, smiling and laughing before he ever raised his camera. His portraits always looked so real and inviting.

During my decade as a newspaper staffer, I had a number of occasions that I needed to get a portrait. Some of the times it was easy as the subject was distracted answering questions from the journalist I was with.

But when I needed to go alone and get the shot, I would always spend a little time conversing with the subject about what their story was so that they would be comfortable in front of the camera.

In the case of this young lady, I had pitched a story idea to my editor about following a young lady around as she prepared for her high school prom. I followed along with her mother as they tried on various gowns and other apparel. Then on the day of the prom, I again followed her and her mother to getting a manicure and pedicure and finally to the hairdresser. That is where I caught this image. As the hairdresser ruffled her hair some of it fell in front of her face but with the one eye that was clear, she looked right into the camera for what I considered the "money shot".

But the biggest reason I was able to capture this image is the relationship I had with her and her parents. I had been shooting this young lady and her high school sports for a couple of years and she knew me and my work in that arena. It made it easy for me to translate that relationship to this project.


 

Comments

Popular Posts