NO WAKE!

Taken in 2003, this image won first place in the Spot News photography in the Florida Press Club for that year. This is one of those "right place, right time" with a little bit of planning on my part.

A recent rain storm to the area of Walton County, Florida, had dump a lot of rain to the area and the hurricane season was just getting underway. The paper's editor had received a phone call from residents in the neighborhood and I was dispatched to get some photos for that week's edition. When I arrived, I walked around the neighborhood looking for good compositions when I spotted this sign in a resident's front yard.

I took a couple of shots but there seemed to be something missing to really make the image. It was then that I heard a big truck and looked down the road to my right and saw a garbage truck making his rounds. I knew that the road circled around and, unless the truck turned around, it would pass right by me and the flooding with the sign. Sure enough, a couple of minutes later, the truck came barrelling down the street and I was able to capture this image.

Originally shot on Kodacolor film with a Nikon F100 camera and Tokina 35-70mm f3.5-5.6 lens, I converted it to monochrome for posting here.


 

Comments

Popular Posts