TRI-X

 Every once in a while I get a hankering to shoot film. Especially my all time favorite black&white film, Kodak Tri-X. Tri-X is a high speed (ISO400) film that, in my eyes has great latitude, easily pushable to ISO1600, and a reasonable grain.

I only have one film camera these days. It is an old Yashica Electro35 GS that my father purchased in England. It is a fixed lens camera with a 1.7/45mm lens. He did not use it much. When he passed, my sister, the will's executor, sent me the camera. I was not sure if it was worth keeping and took it to my favorite camera repair shop. The owner told me that the Yashica's lens was excellent in his eyes producing sharp images when focused. I have had good results over the years since getting the camera in 1997.

This image is from a cruise in 2018 to the Southern Caribbean. That day I decided to use only the Yashica and see if I could get anything worth keeping.


This image stuck with me mainly because of the woman who happened to glance at me when I was taking the shot. I think the shot was at f8 which gave me good depth of field and got pretty much everything in focus. These are the kind of b&w film images that I have come to love from Tri-X - excellent range in tones from solid black to crisp whites and lots of shades inbetween.

Comments

Popular Posts