NAME RECOGNITION

I believe that in any endeavor name recognition is an important factor. It makes marketing easier if the person is a superstar like Yul Brynner. Leica camera, with stores around the world, is hosting an exhibition of Brynner's photography throughout the year and around the world. BUT in looking at the images posted with the article on The Leica Camera Blog (https://leica-camera.blog/), I am not impressed with Brynner's art.

In fact, I believe my images posted on this blog are easily comparable and maybe a shade better than his work. Brynner's efforts are easily because of his access to backstage scenes that no one else took advantage of.

My work is the same way. Access to various venues wherever I happen to be gives me opportunities that most people either don't have or don't take advantage of. The same holds true for most of us. We either "see" the image or we don't. The goal is to be aware.

Today's image is from a photo trip my wife and I made to England in 2006. What makes this a keeper? For me, it is not only the one woman on her cellphone but the second woman on her cellphone that happened into the image when I hit the shutter. BUT my original composition, based on the old "rule of thirds", got my attention because I not only had a person looking right at me but the posts created a diagonal drawing the eye through the image. It was not until I was editing that night that I noticed the second woman.

The image was taken with a Nikon D2H and a Nikkor 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 lens.

 
Needless to say, this image was included in a book I self-published (https://www.blurb.com/books/11644568-london-streets-one-american-s-view) on blurb.com a book of street images from the three trips made to the UK that can be seen for the next couple of weeks. I believe this image along with the rest of the book's photos easily stand up against the images of Brynner. But I will never have the name recognition of a Yul Brynner so these images will reside on my various hard drives and maybe my children can do something with them.

Comments

Popular Posts