OLD SKOOL!

I started out shooting film back in the day, 1970 to be exact, using little point&shoot cameras like a lot of people. Then my wife made the mistake of buying me an entry level single lens reflex camera and a single lens. I soon had multiple prime and zoom lenses and even a second camera body as I thought I could be the next Henri Cartier-Bresson. Needless to say that did not happen but I did get to spend a decade shooting for a small weekly newspaper that was very photo-friendly around the turn of the century..

But this image comes from an old Yashica Electro35 GS rangefinder fixed-lens camera that belonged to my dad that he picked up in England while my sister and her husband were stationed there in the U.S. Air Force.

It got passed on to me as his passing and, every once in a while, I still like to pull it out, load it up with black&white film and just enjoy having to wait to see if anything that I have pressed the shutter for is worth keeping.

To that end, my next few images will be from this camera that I happened on recently when trying to find a image to post. This image was taken on the island of Antigua in November 2018. For me, I love the depth of field and the layers of interest from the foreground to background.

Not bad for a camera that allows very little manipulation at the point of pressing the shutter other than adjusting the aperture. But I also was shooting the ASA400 film at ASA1600 which lends the film to this contrasty look and overexposed highlights with no detail. But I like it.


 

Comments

Popular Posts