CENTER OF ATTENTION

 Back in 2000, I was just getting into being a freelancer for a small weekly newspaper in the Florida Panhandle. I came up with an idea to follow a senior getting ready for her senior prom. First, I spoke with the young lady, Kris Thoma, about the possibility. She was agreeable. Then I approached her parents who also gave the ok.

Then I approached the editor of the paper. She was fairly new to her position (the previous editor had taken a position with another larger paper). After I explained to her the approvals I had gotten from the girl and her parents, the editor gave her ok. I followed Kris throughout the process from selecting a gown, buying accessories, hair and makeup appointments and, finally, the night of the prom when several of her friends and their dates gathered before heading to the prom.

This shot, taken with an Olympus OM-4T loaded with Tri-X film and I believe a Tokina ATX Pro 28-70mm f2.8. Not only was it Kris and her mom but they also invited her date for his input. Being a smart young man, he stay mostly quiet unless asked direct questions.



Comments

Popular Posts